Avocados are some of my favorite things in the whole world. Really, if I put avocado on anything I will love it. But trying to do something new with avocados is always something I am looking for. Stuffed avocados just sound like an absolute dream, right?
Summer is quickly coming around the corner and I need to get some new recipes that are delicious and healthy. When I found this recipe for chicken salad stuffed avocados I knew I had to give them a try. I knew that if I was going to eat stuffed avocados I was going to stuff them with super unhealthy stuff that, yes, would make them taste even more delicious.
Let me just fill you in with how healthy these things are:
- NO mayo! Instead, it’s made with cottage cheese! It will blow your mind how well cottage cheese works as a healthy substitute in chicken salad and egg salad. Awesome discovery. Cottage cheese is to mayo what Greek yogurt is to sour cream.
- Turkey bacon. If you have never made turkey bacon in the oven, you have never made turkey bacon. It is really the ONLY way to do it. Otherwise, it is impossible to get crispy. It just doesn’t happen in a pan, unfortunately. But if you bake it in the oven, it gets crispy just like bacon and is a healthier substitute.
- The lettuce and tomato…not much to say here. The addition of these two ingredients along with the bacon is what makes this chicken salad taste just like your favorite BLT .
Doesn’t that sound delicious? I am honestly in love with chicken salad and to stuff my favorite thing (avocados) with another thing that I love is absolute perfection. You have to give these a try because you will be greatly impressed.
- 12 slices of turkey bacon
- 1½ cups shredded rotisserie chicken
- 2 roma tomatoes
- 1½ cups cottage cheese (or more depending on the consistency you prefer)
- 1 cup finely chopped romaine lettuce
- 3 avocados
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees
- Lay 12 slices of turkey bacon out on a foil lined baking sheet
- Bake for 10 minutes, flip, bake for another five minutes, and lay the bacon out over several sheets of paper towels to cool
- Meanwhile, quarter your tomatoes, scoop out all the pulp and seeds with your fingers, and dice into small chunks
- Chop the romaine into small pieces
- In a large bowl, combine the chicken, cottage cheese, romaine, tomatoes, crumbled turkey bacon, and mix together
- Season to taste with salt and pepper
- Half your avocados, remove the pits, and season lightly with salt and pepper
- To serve, scoop ⅙ (approximately) of the chicken salad into each avocado half. Not a huge amount will fit inside the hole made by the pit, so you will heap a decent amount on top of the avocado, too