If you are like me, you have been waiting until today to figure out what you are going to be taking to all the Fourth of July parties you will be attending this weekend. You want it to be delicious (obviously), but you also want it to be different. Picking what food to take to a party is like picking your outfit, you don’t want to be taking/wearing what someone else brings/wears.
Well, have I got the perfect recipe for you; blueberry almond salsa. I know, another fruit salsa? This guy must be out of his mind! But if you tried my watermelon mango pineapple pico de gallo than you know that maybe stepping out of your shell and trying new things isn’t such a bad idea. Believe me, I too didn’t think this would be as good as it is, but it’s actually pretty amazing. Great with chips or course, but you can also try it as a garnish if you’d like.
Nothing could be more delicious and refreshing than some fresh blueberries mixed with almonds to give it a fun little crunch, but also adding jalapeño peppers to spice them up. Give it a try and believe me, your family and friends will love it and love that something different was brought to the party this year. Enjoy!
- 2 cups fresh blueberries
- 1/2 cup chopped almonds
- 1/2 cup roughly-chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 Tbls freshly squeezed lemon or lime juice
- 1 avacado, peeled, pitted and finely chopped
- 1 jalapeño, stem removed, seeded (depending on spiciness) and finely chopped
- half a small red onion, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 tsp salt (if desired)
- Toss all ingredients together and combine.
- If you would like a sweeter salsa, add 1-2 tsp honey (slightly warmed will mix in better)