When it comes to preparing meals there are two things that I love: easy and affordable. I always love finding something that is easy to make that I can just throw in a tupperware for lunches throughout the week. And what’s easier than a slow cooker meal? Nothing. I knew that this slow cooker honey teriyaki chicken would be perfect for a simple dinner and meals for the week.
Slow cooker meals are great too because I can set this while I go to work and my wife doesn’t have to worry about a thing. Since she’s coming to the end of her pregnancy I always try to help in anyway I can. Dinner is the simplest burden I can take off her shoulders. So when you want to help out your wife, just remember slow cooker meals and you’ll be good to go.
Anytime I am trying to find a simple and delicious dinner idea I always like to check out Pinterest (of course) or my friends The Recipe Critic’s blog. She had posted this slow cooker honey teriyaki chicken a while ago and I had been thinking about it ever since. When I see something on her blog I have to make sure I can make it, so I shoot her a little text to get the approval. Never has she said good luck because everything on her blog is so simple and absolutely delicious.
I always love Asian inspired meals that I can put over rice. This slow cooker honey teriyaki chicken is great because after we have it for dinner I throw some in tupperware for my lunches throughout the week. I could eat chicken and rice forever, but sprucing it up with this delicious chicken makes it so much better.
- 4 boneless chicken breasts, about 2 lbs
- 1/2 cup soy sauce
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1/4 cup rice wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 cup water
- 3 Tbls cornstarch
- Optional garnish: green onions, sesame seeds, chow mein noodles
- Spray your slow cooker with cooking spray and place chicken breasts in the bottom. In a small bowl, whisk the soy sauce, honey, rice wine vinegar, onion, garlic, pepper and ginger. Pour over the chicken breasts.
- Cook on high for 3-4 hours or low for 4-5 hours or until chicken is cooked throughout and shreds easily. Once the chicken is cooked, remove with a slotted spoon and shred on a plate.
- Pour the sauce into a medium sauce pan. In a small bowl whisk together the water and cornstarch. Slowly whisk into the sauce on medium high heat. Continue to whisk and let it boil until the honey teriyaki sauce starts to thicken. About 2 minutes.
- Add the chicken back to the slow cooker and pour the sauce on top stirring the coat. Serve over rice and garnish if desired.