Jump to recipe
Altering running a marathon, I thought I wouldn’t just go back to running a little bit a day to keep in shape. Turns out, when you completely lose a toenail you have to take a bit of a break. Since I can’t run, and really don’t do anything else for exercise, I think it’s time to meal prep again. Thankfully, this easy chicken burrito meal prep bowls was just that — easy!
Whenever I want to eat healthy during the week I know I will be good if I meal prep. Something about having everything ready before hand just makes life so much easier. I love being able to put my favorite things into my lunch bag, heading to work, and knowing I will be eating much better. When I don’t meal prep, I tend to eat awful: two bags of crazy bread, 44 oz of Diet Coke, and tons of unhealthy treats. When I set myself up for success, the day goes a ton better.
What I personally love about burrito bowls is that you can mix them up to your own personal liking. Maybe you don’t do sour cream and cilantro, that’s okay! Make them with your favorite things and make them enjoyable for you. After all, that is who you’re making them for, right?
When I make these, I like to prep all the food Saturday. That means I am making the Pico de Gallo, seasoning the chicken, and cooking the beans and rice before. Then, Sunday I take everything out, cook the chicken, corn, and put everything in their containers for the week.
This is such simple recipe that you can make it with your kids. I know my kids love helping me in the kitchen, and this is a recipe that I don’t have to worry about anyone messing it up. There isn’t really a way to mess it up.
Easy Chicken Burrito Meal Prep Bowls
Easy chicken burrito meal prep bowls are perfect for palling weekday work lunches ahead. For lunches ready in 60 minutes - tasty, gluten free, and healthy!
- For Chicken:
- 5 Chicken Thighs skinless, boneless
- 1/4 cup Taco Seasoning
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 1 Tablespoon Oil
- For the Pico de Gallo
- 2 cups Tomatoes finely diced
- 1 cup Onion finely diced
- 2 Jalapeños finely diced, seeds removed
- 1/2 cup loosely packed, chopped Cilantro
- 1/4 teaspoon Salt
- Juice of 1 Lime
- For the Corn
- 1 teaspoon Oil
- 2 cups Corn Kernels (fresh or frozen)
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Other Ingredients for the Chicken Burrito Bowls
- 3 cups Cooked Rice (White of Brown)
- 2 cups Cooked Beans (black beans or kidney beans)
- 3/4 cup Sour Cream
- 2 Cucumbers sliced
- 1 Lime cut into four wedges
- Start by marinating the chicken: In a ziplock bag, add all eh ingredients mentioned under chicken, mix together, seal, and set aside for 15-20 minutes while you prepare the remaining ingredients (you can also do this the night before).
- Next, prepare the pico de gallo by mixing all the ingredients mentioned under 'pico de gallo'. Refrigerate while you prepare everything else (another thing you can do night before).
- Heat a teaspoon of oil in pan and add the corn. Cook for 5-6 minutes on high till the corn is slightly blistered. Season with salt and pepper. Remove in a bowl and set aside.
- In the same pan, add chicken and cook for 8-10 minutes, turning once or twice till the chicken is slightly brown and cooked through. I like to put it on high heat towards the end to get some charred bits.
- Let everything come to room temperature before assembling the meal prep boxes. To assemble, divide chicken, rice, corn, beans, and pico de gallo in each box. Top with sour cream, sliced cucumbers, and a lime wedge in each bowl. Shut the lid and refrigerate for up to four days.
- ***Avacados and guacamole work great with this recipe, but I recommend buying them separately and using them fresh***