It’s that time of year again when I try to eat healthy because I gained so much weight while my wife was pregnant (sympathy weight is a real thing). I am slowing working on getting back in shape and making real changes and one change is watching what I eat. Asparagus is one of those healthy foods that you should be eating regularly, but it’s just not for me. Clearly when you need to make a certain food a little bit more tasty, add bacon.
I know what you are thinking, bacon isn’t healthy, but I had to get something to wrap around asparagus to make it a little easier for me to choke down. Isn’t it funny though how we will take something that is super healthy for us then wrapping it up with bacon to make it completely bearable. I know that if I were to just put some kind of seasoning on the asparagus alone it would be great, but it’s all about small steps to being healthier.
Another great thing about this recipe though, is it is great to make as a side dish for any holiday gathering coming up. You won’t be taking any home because it’s that good and looks as good as it tastes. I really didn’t think I would love asparagus that much, but this recipe took it to a whole new level.
What are you waiting for? Try making these bacon wrapped asparagus for yourself.
- 2 lb fresh asparagus, ends trimmed
- 12 slices bacon, uncooked
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 Tbsp soy sauce
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp freshly ground pepper
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Wrap one piece of bacon around 3 to 4 asparagus spears. Place in shallow baking dish. Repeat with remaining asparagus and bacon.
- In a small saucepan over medium-high heat, combine brown sugar, butte, soy sauce, garlic powder and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low and stir until sugar is dissolved. Pour mixture over asparagus bundles.
- Bake 25 to 30 minutes, until spears begin to wilt and bacon is cooked.