There is nothing that gets me more excited when it comes to desserts than peanut butter and brownies. My friend Alyssa, The Recipe Critic, recently posted her recipe for Reese’s cheesecake brownies and I knew I had to give these a try. Let me just tell you, you will die when you give these brownies a try.
Since I’ve been married I have loved learning to make more things from scratch rather than from a box. My wife never makes a dessert from a box, she always makes recipes from scratch and I love that about her. What is it about a dessert (or anything for that matter) that when you make it from scratch, it tastes so much better? I mean, maybe it’s the fact that you know everything that is going into it or the fact that you spend a little more time to make sure it tastes amazing.
I never thought I would be one to spend much time in the kitchen but since becoming a husband and father I have cooked a lot more. For me, cooking is a kind of stress release. I know, I should just get my lazy butt out of the house and get to the gym, but instead I have been making tasty treats. There is just something about making a tasty treat that puts a smile on someone else’s face. Sometimes those smiles come from the crazy things I say, but even more by making something special for them.
Try making these Reese’s cheesecake brownies when you’re in a funk and need a pick me up or just need to put a smile on someone else’s face. Everyone is going to love these. Enjoy!
- Brownie layer:
- ¾ cup butter
- 6 oz dark chocolate, chopped
- 1½ cups sugar
- ½ cup brown sugar, packed
- 1½ tsp vanilla
- 3 large eggs
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 (12 oz) bag mini Reese’s Peanut Butter Cups, divided and chopped into fourths
- For the peanut butter cheesecake layer:
- 8 oz block cream cheese, softened
- ¼ cup butter, softened
- 1 egg
- ½ cup sugar
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup creamy peanut butter
- For the chocolate layer on top:
- 1 (12 oz) bag milk chocolate chips
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Line a 9×13 inch pan with aluminum foil for easy removal of the bars. Spray with cooking spray and set aside. Chop your Reese’s Peanut Butter Cups into fourths and divide them in half.
- In a microwave safe bowl or using a double broiler, melt the ¾ cup of butter and chopped dark chocolate. Stirring ever 30 seconds being careful not to let the chocolate burn.
- Whisk sugar and brown sugar to the melted chocolate mixture. Then add the vanilla and eggs until it it is fully incorporated. Stir the flour until incorporated. Fold in half of the chopped Reese’s Peanut Butter Cups. Pour this mixture into your prepared 9×13 inch pan.
- To make the cheesecake layer, in a stand mixer using the paddle attachment, cream together the cream cheese and softened butter about 2 minutes until fluffy. Mix in the egg, sugar, salt, and vanilla on high for another 2 minutes. Mix in the peanut butter for 2 minutes.
- Pour the cream cheese layer over the brownie layer and spread it out so that it is smooth on the top and completely covers the brownie layer. Bake for 35-40 minutes. The top and edges should be slightly golden and the center is set.
- Let the bars completely cool and refrigerate for at least an hour before the chocolate layer on top. To make the chocolate layer, in a microwave safe bowl, add the chocolate chips. Melt 30 seconds at a time until melted and smooth. Pour over the top of the peanut butter cheesecake layer and spread evenly. Sprinkle the rest of the chopped Reese’s Peanut Butter Cups on top. Pop in the fridge until the chocolate is set. Cut into squares and serve.